After completing an advanced degree in Mechanical Engineering and serving as a Captain in the Indian Army, Rai Marwah emigrated to the United States in 1971 with 12 dollars and a dream. In lieu of finding an opening in engineering, Rai worked a variety of odd jobs, including auto mechanic and gas station attendant, real estate broker, and an 8-year career as a bus driver for Greyhound. In 1974, Rai married Rajni Marwah, a Microbiologist with a Masters in Anthropology who aspired to start her own business, and they slowly saved up toward their dream.
1981 Rai and Rajni decide to pursue their dream and take out a business loan with a dizzying 21% interest rate. Rajni keeps her full-time job as a medical technologist to ensure stability, while Rai opens their first restaurant, a Pioneer Chicken franchise located in Whittier, CA, the same the city that would later become the home of the Denco Family headquarters. Rai works 18 hour days for 2 years until the loan is paid off, and then Rai and Rajni begin saving to enable expansion.
- 1983 Rai and Rajni become 7-Eleven franchisees and purchase their first location in South Gate, CA. Rajni quits her job and joins the business full-time, operating the 7-Eleven while Rai focuses on the restaurant operations and expansion.
- 1985 The couple are voted and awarded 7-Eleven Rookie of the Year.
- 1986 They open their second 7-Eleven in in Pico Rivera, CA.
- 1987 They acquire their third 7-Eleven in in Whittier, CA, and are later awarded Franchisee of the Year by 7-Eleven, Inc.
- 1993 Rai and Rajni open their first Subway in Lynwood, CA.
- 1994 Opening of their first Popeyes in Monrovia, CA.
- 1995 Acquisition of their first Denny’s in Victorville, CA and are subsequently awarded Denny’s Franchisee Rookie of the Year.
- 1997 They undertake and complete their first ground-up build, a Denny’s in Pico Rivera, CA.
- November 1997 A second brand new ground-up Denny’s opens in Whittier, CA.
- 1998 Denco is awarded Franchisee of the Year and Rai Marwah is subsequently elected to Denny’s Franchisee Association Board of Directors.
- July 1998 Rai and Rajni Open a Denny’s in Hesperia, CA.
- December 1998 Acquisition of Denny’s in San Dimas, CA and opening of Denny’s in Norco, CA.
- March 1999 Opening of Denny’s in Rialto, CA.
- 2000 Rai Marwah voted Asian Entrepreneur of the year by Asian Enterprise Magazine.
- September 2000 The couple acquire 3 Denny’s restaurants in the Houston area of Texas.
- October 2000 Opening of a Denny’s in Bakersfield, CA.
- December 2000 Rai and Rajni acquire an additional 7 Denny’s restaurants in Texas.
- 2001 Acquisition of a Subway in Norwalk, CA.
- December 2001 Opening of a Denny’s in Delano, CA and second opening of a Denny’s in Bakersfield, CA.
- July 2002 Opening of Denny’s in Madera, CA.
- August 2002 After years of working in the restaurants while growing up, Ritu Marwah Portugal and Rahul Marwah join their parents to help lead the Denco Family team full-time.
- November 2002 Opening of Denny’s in Porterville, CA.
- December 2002 Opening of a brand new Popeyes restaurant in Bakersfield, CA.
- January 2003 Acquisition of a Denny’s in Diamond Bar, CA.
- February 2003 Opening of a second Subway in Lynwood, CA.
- March 2003 Opening of a third Subway in Lynwood, CA.
- June 2003 Opening of a Subway in Lakewood, CA.
- August 2003 Acquisition of 3 Subways in Long Beach, CA.
- March 2004 Acquisition of a Denny’s in San Bernardino, CA.
- June 2005 Opening of a Denny’s in Porterville, CA and a Denny’s opening in Goleta, CA.
- March 2006 Opening of a Subway in Long Beach, CA.
- October 2007 Opening of Subway in Lakewood, CA.
- December 2008 Opening of first Choice Hotel Comfort Suites franchise in Barstow, CA.
- November 2009 Rahul Marwah becomes youngest member ever to be elected to the Board of Directors for the Denny’s Franchisee Association and accepts position as a member of Operations Subcommittee & Denny’s National Operations Brand Advisory Council.
- June 2010 Denco Family opens first Marriott property, the Fairfield Inn & Suites in Kingsburg, CA.
- August 2010 Opening of a Denny’s in New Caney, TX.
- January 2012 Rajni Marwah awarded Choice Hotels Women’s Business Alliance Woman of the Year, Finalist.
- December 2012 Opening of 2 new Popeyes restaurants in Bakersfield, CA.
- March 2013 Opening of an additional Popeyes in Bakersfield, CA.
- May 2013 Opening of a Popeyes in Taft, CA.
- June 2013 Opening of an additional Popeyes in Bakersfield, CA.
- September 2013 Opening of yet another Popeyes in Bakersfield, CA.
- December 2013 Denco awarded Platinum Hotel Operator by Choice Hotels International.
- May 2014 Acquisition of 3 more Popeyes restaurants in Long Beach, Garden Grove, and Westminster, CA.
- August 2014 After 3 years of intense planning and construction, the first Denny’s in Manhattan, NYC opens under the guidance of Rahul Marwah. The same day Denco opens a new Popeyes in Montebello, CA.
- October 2014 Opening of new Popeyes in Bellflower, CA breaks record for highest opening volume in market.
- February 2015 Acquisition of first Hilton property, the Hampton Inn & Suites in Los Alamos, NM.
- July 2015 Opening of new Popeyes in Westminster, CA.
- November 2015 Acquisition of first InterContinental Hotels Group property, the Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Pittsburg, KS.
- January 2016 Acquisition of Denny’s in Glendora, CA.
- March 2016 Opening of new Denny’s in Gardena, CA.
- May 2016 Comfort Suites Barstow wins Hotel of the Year award.